No one seems to know when the original church was built on this location. We do know is that there had been a church here since before the Civil War. The building was a log cabin with a dirt floor.
Emory Cemetery located across the street has several tombstones dating back to 1848.
The original deed for the property is dated April 15, 1872 naming the church “Methodist Episcopal Church at Emory Chapel”.
The oldest standing structure today is the "old sanctuary", built in 1941 to replace the sanctuary built in the 1870s which was destroyed by a fire. The "old sanctuary" retains the chandeliers and some of the stained glass windows. The building is still actively used today for some church functions.
The current church sanctuary was built in 1991 and seats approximately 350.
The Burton Family Life Center was built in 1997 and features a basketball court, stage and a full kitchen
From the Emory church history written by Patsy Adams.
Emory Church picture from 1940s
Current faculties are pictured on home page and throughout this website.